Total Pageviews

Wm. Shaksper

Wm. Shaksper
Did he write the plays

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Basis for discussion

The Shakespeare authorship question is one that has caught the attention of many famous people: Sigmund freud, Mark Twain, Albert Einstein, just to name a few. The reason is clear, there is no factual evidence Wm. Shaksper's background would give him the criteria for authorship. He only had a basic grammar school education that ended at the age of 13. His father, wife and daughters were all illiterate. When Shaksper arrived in London in 1588, some plays, later contributed to Shakespeare, had already been performed. The only logical argument is the the similarity of names.

Many names have been bandied about, among them include Francis Bacon, Christopher Marlowe, Sir Henry Neville, but the most popular candidate with the strongest credentials is Edward deVere, the 17th Earl of Oxford; however, he died too soon (1604) when new plays were still being introduced as late as 1613.

The purpose of this blog is to start a conversation to offer the theory the rightful author could be a woman. Even though the women of that era were not allowed to received an education, there were high-born women who were tudored along side of their brothers. It is difficult to come up with a female candidate because there was so little printed about women 400 years ago, but that still does not eliminate the possibility. Afterall, who had the most to lose if discovered? The most logical answer is a woman. She would have needed a front - who better than an struggling actor. One doesn't have far to look to serioiusly consider a woman because of the strong feminist leanings in many of the plays. Would it not seem more likely a woman would write roles complimentary to women? I would invite students and scholars of Shakespeare to offer support or debunk my theory...

10 comments:

  1. Hi Deena,

    Good start; nice picture; don't give too much away.

    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since this is my first venture into blog-land, I was under the impression it was a debate. Having had only one comment in a week, and that from a good friend, I called my tech son last evening to find out more about blogs. He patiently explained that a blog is a vehicle to explain a view point or position and it was up to me to make periodic entries. If someone else wants to comment, that's great, but I shouldn't be waiting around for it. So I hope you will find the next comment of interest.

    A while back I had an email discussion with an historian in England and when I told him about my project, he accused me of feminist wishful thinking. Well, to say the least, my hackles were immediately aroused. I've never liked to be labeled, but in this case, if feminism means fairness, then I am a feminist. Who's to say, 400-years later, exactly what took place. All I am trying to do is open the minds of those interested to entertain the possibility that an intelligent, educated, well-traveled, talented woman could have indeed hid behind the name "Shake-speare" and later was forced to hire an actor by the name of Wm. Shakper (he was inconsistent on how he spelled his name) to front for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After months of procrastination, I am finally back into creating more pages for my book instead of continual rewrite and editing. I'm glad I outlined the booked at the beginning so I at least I know where I'm going. It's amazing how the characters take on a life of their own. My protagonist, Cynthia, needs to get a life - she beginning to sound more and more like me! Can't let that happen. It would bore everyone silly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually - you are not boring. Did you get the pages I sent back to you earlier this Spring? I think it is coming along quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marian,
    I did. Thanks so much for your editing. I've written two more chapters - one historical and the other contempory since I saw you in Feb. As you know, I've been writing a parallel stories which is like writing two books at the same time. This may be the reason why I get so bogged down. This week, I decided to separate the historical chapters into its own file and concentrate on completing them, and then weave them back into the main story. We'll see how it works. At least I'm back to writing 4-5 days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just received word that my first book, Deception Cove, a romantic suspense novel, is being considered for publication. However, I'm being asked to fix some problems and resubmit before they'll consider a contract. Where are the good old days when a editor would work with you instead of expecting the author to go it alone. At least I'm at first base with the book, now if only the book can make it to home without being thrown out. Maybe not the best metaphore, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I've my first book off to the publisher, I only need to wait and see what happens. Now I can concentrate on my "Shakespeare" book. More blog entries later as I move forward...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have my first book off to an editor and it's now a waiting game.

    Back to my "Shakespeare" book. I have 18 chapters of my novel drafted out so far (about half-way completed) with most of them reviewed by my critique group and by now I have everyone convinced my theory of female authorship is on target. Of course, everyone in the groups are women, so I suppose that could be a factor - but it makes so much sense to believe Wm fronted for a woman.

    To make a convincing argument, you first have to not only show reasonable doubt but put forth convincing evidence that Wm. Shaksper probably took unwarranted credit for the plays and sonnets. Or, someone used the name Shakespeare to hide behind. I've piggybacked my theory based on research and books written by scholars of Shakespeare, both pro and con to the authorship question. Basically, it is Wm's humble background and lack of education that starts the conversation. I'll offer a list of reasons as to why I don't think Shaksper was the writer in subsequent posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first book, Deception Cove, has now been released by Wings Press, Inc. www.wingsepress.com
    The marketing obligations are now taking priority over keeping this blog updated. But back to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm back... okay, Halloween may have influenced that comment. By deciding to hire a professional to create a new website for me, puts me on the spot to keep my blog up-to-date. Here it is a year later, and still haven't completed my "Shakespeare" book, but I am honing in on it. What's interesting is the new movie just out "Anonymous"just released. I haven't seen the movie yet as it hasn't reached our small town theater yet, but I intend to. However, I did watch the trailer on the internet and it appears the main focus is creating an action movie. The movie has both its pros and cons concerning my book. The pro is that it keeps the subject matter at the forefront of the public. The con is that the movie came out before my book is published. My comment? They have it almost right.

    ReplyDelete